As I sit here writing this, two things have happened. First, the Antarctic Vortex has finally hit my house, and brought with it a crazy amount of rain, a notable drop in temperature, and stacks of thunder and lightning. There was a huge clap of thunder right now that literally made the whole house vibrate. Scary. The second thing that happened, is that I just hit 12 hours in the 24in48 Readathon (which I wrote about here). So how did I do?
In 12 hours I read four complete books, as well as the last third of one book, and approximately the first two thirds of another. Here’s what I read:
- Warren the 13th and the All Seeing Eye – It was a cute kids book that had a happy fuzzy ending, so it was a good start to the day.
- Lord Arthur Savile’s Crime – I laughed so much while reading this. Witty, ridiculous, and though provoking all at once.
- How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are – I don’t how useful these tips will be for me, but there were some excellent recipes included (crepes anyone?).
- A Man of Some Repute – I had this on my Kindle app, and while it’s not one of the books I’d selected for the challenge, it was really easy to read while I ate my lunch as I didn’t have to worry about turning pages! It was ok, but I’m really glad I only paid $2 for this one.
- The Meek One – Dostoyevsky: ranty, sad, a few anger inducing moments, and some thought provoking ones.
I finished up the 12 hours with some poetry by Rilke, which is really lovely and will hopefully cause me to have some nice dreams about flowers and unicorns. I’ll be finishing this one tomorrow.
Now here’s a short rundown of how the day played out:
7:45am – Woke up after a sleep in – finished reading Warren the 13th and the All Seeing Eye, which I started reading yesterday.
10:10am – After wasting time buying snacks (including two bags of gummy bears!!), I set up my reading nook and started on one of my official readathon books, Lord Arthur Savile’s Crime, by Oscar Wilde.
11:10am – Just finished Oscar Wilde and my coffee. Ready to start How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are. I wonder if this includes during readathons? (Note: it didn’t)
1:50pm – After devouring half a packet of gummy bears and the entirety of How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are, I think it’s time to actually eat something nutritious. Also, I don’t feel at all French, and some of the tips I’ve read seem like a lot of effort. Homemade chicken soup for lunch you guys!
6:30pm – I’ve been reading a book called A Man of Some Repute since 3pm; I’ve hit the halfway mark and it’s getting a bit boring (but I don’t know if that has anything to do with my attention starting to wander because tired). So I grabbed a cider and some Dostoyevsky. I feel like I should be drinking vodka, but what are ya gonna do?
11:47pm – Just hit 12 hours!! I feel like my eyes are going to drop out of my head.