‘Bookish (and not so bookish) thoughts’ is hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous – go say hi!
1. This tweet went viral during the week. I thought it was cool:
Things native English speakers know, but don't know we know: https://t.co/Ex0Ui9oBSL—
Matthew Anderson (@MattAndersonBBC) September 03, 2016
2. I thought that tweet was so cool, I went snooping around the tweeter’s Twitter (?) and found an article written by the person who wrote the paragraph he tweeted (that was an awful sentence and I apologise). It’s all very interesting and confirms, once again, that English language is both a delight and a nightmare.
3. I’m thinking of taking all of my John le Carré books off my bookshelf and making them into a visual point of interest of their own. Nothing fancy, just standing them all up across the top of my tv unit. BUT! I want some bookends to keep them upright. I can’t decide whether to go with these cute owl ones, or whether I should get some of those white ‘A-Z’ ones the rest of the world has. Thoughts?
4. Season 3 of ‘The Fall’ is finally starting in October here in Australia. I don’t care what else he does in his acting career, Jamie Dornan will always be a serial killer to me.
5. I can’t hear Carly Simon’s ‘You’re So Vain’, without remembering going to the bathroom in London’s Heathrow Airport as I waited for my flight back to Australia; it was playing in the airport at the time. It’s weird how music can recall a memory like that. I have since renamed the song, ‘The Heathrow Bathroom Song’.
6. Nelly hasn’t been paying his taxes and now fans are trying to #savenelly (that’s a real hashtag btw) by streaming ‘Hot in Herre’ over and over again so he gets royalties and can pay those taxes. So fans are paying Nelly’s taxes for him. I ♥ Nelly, but the guy should pay his own taxes.
7. I rated a book two stars on Goodreads this week (well, really 2.5); just about everyone else who’s rated it has given it four or five stars and I’m here like, Were we even reading the same book? It wasn’t terrible, but I had so many issues with it – can reading and reviewing lots be detrimental to our enjoyment of books?
8. This story about Russian scientists basically being stalked by a large group of polar bears for two weeks is terrifying, but a bear’s gotta eat.
9. I’ll leave you today with this video of a baby panda stuck on its back. It’s adorable, but oh my god why would you leave such a beautiful little thing flailing around like that? I don’t know about you, but I would have flipped it over instead of filming it. But also, this video is really delightful.